Hello Villagers, sheet pan dinners are all the rage right now thanks to their simple assembly and quick clean-up, both features of which I am a huge fan. For those of you unfamiliar with this kitchen trend, sheet pan dinners essentially have you throw most or all of your meal ingredients onto one pan and throw it in the oven. This means one cooking method and one pan for the entire process, making dinner a breeze.
Our Italian Sausage and Winter Vegetable sheet pan dinner incorporates plenty of seasonings, winter vegetables, and delicious sausage, packing it with TONS of flavor. The best part is, you can easily adjust every bit of it according to what vegetables, seasonings, and even meat you have on hand. I chose these vegetables because they are my favorites and they are in season right now. In the summer, I would likely use an entirely different set of vegetables. As for the meat, this dish also works great with chicken, but I tend to cook with a lot of chicken, so I like to change it up a bit when I can.
Begin by browning your sausage. This isn’t 100% necessary (and it dirties up an extra dish), but it makes them easier to cut and gives them nice crispy edges. Warm a pan over medium heat and either spray it with cooking spray or place a little oil in it. When hot, place the sausages in the pan. Cook each side for a few minutes, then set aside.
Next, prepare your sheet pan. I cover mine with aluminum foil to minimize dishes, but that is up to you. If you cover it with foil, spray the foil with cooking spray to minimize any sticking. Then, peel and dice your onion, carrots and sweet potatoes to 3/4 inch pieces. You’ll want to keep the them all roughly the same size so that they cook evenly. Trim and halve your Brussels sprouts. All vegetables can be placed in a single layer on the sheet pan. I usually use two pans to have a thinner layer of vegetables. They crisp up nicely this way.
Slice each sausage into 8 round pieces and distribute them around your sheet pan. Sprinkle your meat and vegetables with the seasonings and pour the oil evenly around the pan. Using a spoon or your hands, mix everything together making sure the contents of your sheet pan are well covered.
Place everything in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Then enjoy!
If and when I have leftovers, I’ll reheat it and cook up some eggs to throw on top. It makes a fantastic, quick breakfast!
Italian Sausage and Winter Vegetables Sheet Pan Dinner
- 2 large Carrots peeled and diced
- 1 large Sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 medium Onion peeled and diced
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- 1 lb Mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 tbsp Dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Dried basil
- 1 tsp Dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried thyme
- 1/4 Cup Olive oil extra virgin
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a small pan over medium-high heat, brown sausage on all sides.
- Prepare your sheet pan by covering with foil and spraying with cooking spray.
- Prepare vegetables: dice and peel the onion, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Vegetables should be roughly 3/4 inch to ensure proper and even cooking. Trim and halve your Brussels sprouts.
- Place all vegetables in a thin layer on your sheet pan. This may require 2 pans.
- Slice each sausage into 8 pieces and distribute them evenly on the sheet pan.
- Combine all seasonings and mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle seasonings evenly over meat and vegetables.
- Pour olive oil over the sausage and winter vegetables.
- Using a spoon or your hands, mix all contents of the sheet pan until well combined.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until vegetables have softened and sausage is no longer pink.
[…] Soup includes chopped carrots and plenty of other vegetables to warm you on a cold night. Our Sausage and Winter Vegetables sheet pan dinner is loaded with my favorite winter vegetables and can be easily adjusted to your […]
[…] via Italian Sausage and Winter Vegetables Sheet Pan Dinner — Village Table […]