Foods that Help me Grow: Vegetables
Lesson 2 begins the series of lessons discussing the food groups and MyPlate. We discuss the different characteristics of vegetables, give children opportunities for exploration, and help them understand why they are needed in the diet in order for their body to grow.
- Vegetables come in all different shapes, colors, and sizes.
- I need to eat different colored vegetables to help me grow and stay strong.
- I can take bites of different vegetables
This lesson includes:
- Recommended book and materials list
- Lesson overview: Background information for teachers
- Lesson objectives
- Circle time discussion points and questions
- Follow-up lesson questions
- Circle time cards – 5 discussion picture cards with real-life images that will help teachers discuss key lesson objectives with students
- Activity song (lyrics are sung to a popular tune) – I Love Veggies
- Two individual activities with book recommendations and associated printables.
- I can eat a rainbow of vegetables
- Counting Carrots
- Two class activities with book recommendations and discussion cards.
- Build a Class Rainbow
- Vegetable Explorers
- Two movement activities
- Food model race
- Broccoli, Broccoli, Tomato
- Family Take-Home Sheet