Foods that Help me Grow: Protein
Protein foods are used help make muscles, tissues, and other important parts of the body. They are also a food that preschoolers can be hesitant to eat. Lesson 5 helps preschoolers learn the different types and sources of protein foods, understand how they help the body grow, and encourages eating protein everyday.
- Protein foods come from both plants and animals.
- Protein foods are needed to help me grow.
- We need to eat protein foods everyday.
This lesson includes:
- Recommended book and materials list
- Lesson overview:
- Background information for teachers
- Lesson objectives
- Circle time discussion points and questions
- Follow-up lesson questions
- Circle time cards – 5 discussion picture cards with real-life images that will help teachers discuss key lesson objectives with students
- Activity song (lyrics are sung to a popular tune) – Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes
- Two group activities with book recommendations and necessary printables.
- Going Fishing
- Green Eggs
- Two individual activity with book recommendation and necessary printables
- Sources of Protein
- Counting and Sorting Beans
- Two movement activities
- Bean Bag Toss
- Family Take-Home Sheet