What Does it Mean to be Healthy?
Lesson 1 sets the stage for the remainder of the curriculum by introducing children to the idea of being healthy. For preschool-aged children, we focus on behaviors that will help their bodies grow and become strong.
The objectives of this lesson include being able to state what it means to be healthy and to describe simple ways to be healthy.
This lesson includes:
- Recommended book and materials list
- Lesson overview:
- Background information for teachers
- Lesson objectives
- Circle time discussion points and questions
- Follow-up lesson questions
- Circle time cards – 5 discussion picture cards with real-life images that will help teachers discuss key lesson objectives with students
- Activity song (lyrics are sung to a popular tune) – If You’re Healthy and You Know It
- Two individual activities with book recommendations and associated printables.
- The Very Hungry Preschooler
- How Big am I?
- Two class activities with book recommendations and discussion cards.
- Give a Big Thumbs Up for Being Healthy
- Bed Time Show-n-Tell
- Two movement activities
- Jumping Shapes
- We Can Move Like the Animals Move
- Family Take-Home Sheet