Foods that Help me Grow: Using MyPlate
The five food groups include vegetables, fruit, grains, protein, and dairy. All five food groups are important and contain different nutrients that are needed for growth and development. The MyPlate graphic that teaches us how to prepare our plates so that we are regularly eating foods from each group every day.
- The five food groups are vegetables, fruit, grains, protein, and dairy.
- We need to eat foods from all five food groups every day.
- The foods from all five food groups work together like a team to help our body grow.
This lesson includes:
- Recommended book and materials list
- Lesson overview:
- Background information for teachers
- Lesson objectives
- Circle time discussion points and questions
- Follow-up lesson questions
- Circle time cards – 5 discussion picture cards with real-life images that will help teachers discuss key lesson objectives with students
- Activity song (lyrics are sung to a popular tune) – MyPlate Hokey Pokey
- Two group activities with book recommendations and necessary printables.
- The Missing Food Group
- MyPlate BINGO
- Two individual activities with book recommendations and necessary printables.
- My Own MyPlate
- Food Group Chain
- Two movement activities
- Food Group Challenge
- Hidden Puzzles
- Family Take-Home Sheet