I am always looking for new, creative ways to incorporate fish into our meals. Most fish varieties are good source of protein and other nutrients such as iron, B-vitamins, choline, and omega-3 fatty acids. These nutrients are super important for growing brains! Our delicious, bite-sized salmon and sweet potato rounds are a perfect way to support your child’s development.Jump to Recipe
To maximize the benefits of eating fish, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends that adults and children eat 2-3 servings a week, though serving sizes vary.
- Adult serving size: 4 ounces measured before cooking
- Children ages 1-3 years: 1 ounce
- Children ages 4-7 years: 2 ounces
- Children ages 8-10 years: 3 ounces
- Children ages 11+ years: 4 ounces
Salmon is low in saturated fats (the kind that can hurt the heart) and high in iron, B12, and omega-3 fatty acids. It is also a good source of potassium – which many American adults and children are missing in their diets. All of these nutrients, plus the vitamins A and C found in sweet potatoes, mean that these little salmon and sweet potato rounds pack a nutritious punch!
The best part about this recipe is the versatility in the ingredients used. Most grocery stores will have canned, frozen, and fresh options for both the salmon and sweet potatoes. Because each option will contain the same nutrients, you can pick whichever is convenient and cost effective for your family. If choosing canned salmon, you may need to remove or crush any small bones that are present. They are soft and okay to eat, but any large chunks should be crushed. If choosing canned sweet potatoes, remove and rinse off any packing syrup before using.
Once you have mixed together all of the ingredients, using a #40 sized scoop will make help make each round uniform and cook evenly.
We hope your family enjoys these delicious salmon and sweet potato rounds as much as we do!
Salmon and Sweet Potato Rounds
- 1 #40 scoop
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 1 Baking sheet
- 12 oz salmon, cooked canned, frozen, or fresh
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, diced and cooked
- 2 each eggs, large
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.25 cups bread crumbs, plain
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, break up the salmon into flakes.
- Add the eggs, olive oil, onion powder, garlic, salt, and breadcrumbs. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Using a #40 scoop, scoop a portion of the salmon and sweet potato mixture. Roll mixture into a ball using your hands and place the ball on a prepared baking sheet.
- Using your hands, gently flatten the top and bottom of the ball.
- Repeat until all of the mixture has been scooped and rounds have been formed. This should be roughly 24 rounds.
- Bake salmon and sweet potato rounds for 15-20 minutes.