- 2-28 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2-28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 cups milk or heavy cream
- Optional: 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Place all ingredients except milk into 7-qt crockpot. For a thinner soup, include the optional broth
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the contents of the crockpot until smooth. You can also use a blender or food processor.
- This is a process that allows you to slowly heat the milk, preventing it from curdling.
- Place milk in a bowl and slowly add a small portion of the hot soup.
- Do this, stirring as you go, until the milk is roughly the temperature of the soup.
- Then add the contents of the bowl back into the crockpot.
- Using the immersion blender, blend the soup until all of the milk is even throughout.
[…] Creamy Tomato Basil Soup […]